Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I Miss...

I miss the good ol' Tony Hawk series back on the PS2.


Ok, I only started playing the Tony Hawk series when Tony Hawk's Underground(THUG) came out, so I didn't play the Pro Skater series but it still got me hooked onto the series. I had so much laughs and fun playing THUG, with its crazy button mashing combos and being able to survive from any fall.


When THUG2 came out, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it and it didn't disappoint. In fact, it was better and for me it was the best of all the Tony Hawk(s) that I have ever played(I played others later). Though the graphics suck even for the PS2, it was just plain fun with its ridiculous story line, awesome maps and missions where you seem to be able to destroy anything just by doing tricks on your skateboard. The characters were just hilarious; a guy on a wheelchair equipped with nitrous and a sasquatch and a motorised skateboard, that's comedy gold. Don't get me started on the songs in THUG2, I practically memorized all the song lyrics.


After that came Tony Hawk's American Wasteland. It wasn't as fun as THUG2 but it was still a great game. The story line was in a more serious manner trying to get stuff for a new skate park. Yes, there were some parts where I laughed my guts out and you get to use a BMX bike but for me THUG2 was more fun.


Then came Tony Hawk's Project 8. Nice graphics, challenges that are hard to complete and big maps but the fun of the game was gone. Was a bit disappointed with it cause it could have been the best.


Then I played Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam. It was fun for like the first two days of playing, then it got boring and just frustrating. This is where the Tony Hawk series started to go, well, downhill I guess.
Downhill Jam was the last Tony Hawk game I played...I didn't play the next two games; Proving Ground and Ride because the review of the games were bad and I had a feeling they were. A new game, Tony Hawk : Shred is coming out and I'm already hearing that it won't be good.

The developers should just go back to their arcade roots and make it more about fun rather than making it more realistic and instead, a frustrating game. I wish they'd make a 3rd Underground with all the fun of THUG2.

No comments: